View from Lookout Point Aerial view of Harley Park
Click on picture for larger image.
Click here for more Lookout Point pictures
Harley Park, located on the bluffs of the Missouri River, was established in August of 1887. Ground was given to the city to provide a park for the community by William Harley, an emigrant from Ireland who was born in 1796 and came to Boonville many years before the Civil War. The original tract contained 8 acres and 12 more were added later.
City baseball teams began using the park in 1891 and erected the first actual grandstands about 1907. The first Daniel Boone Days Celebration was held in the park in 1939.
Two old street lights with golden eagles topping them grace the main entrance of the park. They represent the style of street lighting from the 1930's to the 1950's. The street lights were originally situated on the southern approach to the old bridge.
In the park are four Central Mo. Hopewell (Middle Woodland Period) Indian burial mounds dating from 100 B.C. to 500 A.D. The first of these mounds is near the northeast entrance of the park. It is about 50 feet in length and about five feet high. The other three mounds are located at the end of scenic Lookout Point. The largest one is about 60 feet in length and about nine feet high. In 1970 the mounds were placed on the National Register of Historic Places. From Lookout Point one can view the sites of the old forts in Howard County, the Boonslick Salt Springs, and site of the town of Old Franklin, the eastern terminus of the Santa Fe Trail.
Back to History and Historical Points of Interest
Return to Chamber Home Page
Return to mo-river.net
Latest update: March 15, 2005